Marie Charbonneau received a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Sherbrooke (Canada) in 2010, leading her to begin her career as a mechanical design and simulation consultant. In 2011, she was introduced to robotics through mentoring for the FIRST Robotics Challenge. This experience encouraged her to undertake master studies in Robotics Engineering through the Erasmus Mundus EMARO program, carried out as a joint degree between the University of Genoa, Warsaw University of Technology and ETH Zürich.
She has been working as an early stage researcher at the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia in Genoa since 2015, towards the completion of a PhD in whole-body control of humanoid robots.
For the development of robots that can be used in human environments, this project focuses on methods for the whole-body control of a humanoid robot, given the following objectives:
- Allow stable, reactive dynamic movements such as walking
- Ensure compliance of the robot to physical interaction
State of the art whole-body controllers have already been developed for walking, but robustness can still be considered an issue. This project investigates solution for coping with unexpected disturbances and changes in working conditions, as well as for performing a variety of tasks, without human intervention.
The iCub robot is used for experiments and validating the proposed methods.
- April 8th, 2019: Successfully defended her PhD thesis and obtained the PhD title.
- December 28th, 2018: Submitted the first version of her PhD thesis, titled Methods to improve the coping capacities of whole-body controllers for humanoid robots
- December 1st, 2018: Came back from her period abroad
- November 19th, 2018: Gave a talk at the Departamento de Ciencias de la Computación of the Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
- November 17th, 2018: Gave a talk on Methods for robust whole-body control of humanoid robots at the Robotics Week event held at the Federico Santa María Technical University, Valparaiso, Chile
- November 15th, 2018: Gave a seminar at the Advanced Mining Technology Center of the Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
- November 8th, 2018: Valerio Modugno presented her work on Learning robust task priorities of QP-based whole-body torque-controllers at the 2018 IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots in Beijing, China
- September 30th, 2018: Presented her work on Learning robust task priorities of optimization-based whole-body torque-controllers at SSR 2018 in Madrid, Spain.
- June 15th, 2018: Presented her work on Parameter tuning as a challenge in the development of optimization-based whole-body torque-controllers at JNRH 2018 in Nancy, France.
- May 1st, 2018: Began a period abroad at Inria Nancy, Nancy, France.
- April 17, 2018: Gave a talk for the Comunidad de Robótica at the Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile.
- March 22, 2018: Gave a talk at the Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale of Sapienza Università di Roma, Roma, Italy.
- March 14-23, 2018: Went for a visiting period at the Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica, Automatica e Gestionale of Sapienza Università di Roma, Roma, Italy.
- September 25, 2017: Gave a talk at the Falling Walls Lab - Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions held at the House of European History, Brussels, Belgium.
- September 9-17, 2017: Attended the 13th LASER Summer School on Software for Robotics, Elba Island, Italy.
- January 30 - February 8, 2017: Attended the 2017 iCub Winter School (VVV17) in Santa Magherita Ligure, Italy.
- November 15-17, 2016: Presented her work at the 2016 IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots in Cancun, Mexico.
M. Charbonneau, V. Modugno, F. Nori, G. Oriolo, D. Pucci and S. Ivaldi, Learning robust task priorities of QP-based whole-body torque-controllers, 2018 IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots, Nov 2018
S. Dafarra, G. Nava, M. Charbonneau, N. Guedelha, F. Andrade, S. Traversaro, L. Fiorio, F. Romano, F. Nori, G. Metta, and D. Pucci, A Control Architecture with Online Predictive Planning for Position and Torque Controlled Walking of Humanoid Robots, in 2018 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Oct 2018
M. Charbonneau, G. Nava, F. Nori and D. Pucci, An Optimization Based Control Framework for Balancing and Walking: Implementation on the iCub Robot, arXiv:1707.08359 [cs], July 2017
M. Charbonneau, F. Nori and D. Pucci, On-line joint limit avoidance for torque controlled robots by joint space parametrization, in 2016 IEEE-RAS 16th International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), Nov 2016