Let's face it: There are many
tools available today. What advantages can Renew offer?
- Renew is written in Java and will run on any machine where
a Java virtual machine is available. This includes
MacOS, several flavours of Unix
such as Linux, Windows, and
- Similar to classes and objects, reference nets separate the
concepts of nets and net instances, thereby allowing
object-based modeling on the net level.
- Reference nets allow communication between nets
via synchronous channels. This provides a powerful abstraction
- The inscription language of reference nets is closely related
to Java, but care has been taken to keep the formalism in line with
conventional high-level Petri nets.
- All Java classes can be accessed from reference nets without
restrictions. Java code can access net instances just like ordinary
Java objects. Nets can implement methods and interfaces,
such that a seamless cooperation of Java and nets is achieved.
- The simulation engine is capable of true concurrency
and supports symmetric multi-processor architectures.
Transitions with an extended firing time are executed
in the background concurrently with other transitions,
- Purely sequential simulation is supported, too, and extends
the basic net formalism with clear arcs, inhibitor arcs, and
- The object-oriented graphical user interface is simple
- Renew is available free of charge.
- Renew is available with source code in the spirit of the
For which applications can you use Renew?
- Rapid prototyping. The simple user interface and the
expressiveness of the inscription language will ease the
development. The close integration with Java allows
you to choose the appropriate modeling level for each part
of the prototype.
- Workflow modeling. Here the openness of Renew will be
useful. Ultimate simulation speed is not required
and the true concurrency simulation allows the execution
of workflows within Renew.
- Object-based modeling. Net instances support objects
on the level of nets.
- Agent-based modeling. Net instances can be considered as
pro-active objects (agents) that use sensors and actors
(synchronous channels) to communicate with their environment and
can be moved around (as tokens).
- Experiments with net formalisms. Renew is available with
source and can serve as a platform to integrate
and test new net constructs quickly.